Search this blog and beyond

Monday, September 21, 2009

Thank you Paula!

Public dancing is perhaps one of my biggest nightmare. It was a fear that I developed as a kid. In one of the cultural programs that our school conducted, I was chosen to dance for a traditional Tamil dance called 'Kummi'. Now, I literally laugh out loud, but back then performing the best in the team meant a whole lot. I somehow did not manage to dance well and the teacher scolded me. Thats it! It was like the biggest insult that my 12 your old ego could bear. I decided dancing was trivial and immediately plunged myself into more achievable goals then like books.

Well, that was then but as I grew up I realized how much fun dancing was. Everybody seemed to have such a blast while I stood aside looking as though someone had tied two rocks to my legs. All I could do was move vaguely like a robot. And I have to say dancing is a big deal in India. The whole bollywood culture has left us singing and dancing every where. Girls especially are expected to dance by nature! grrr, the stereotypes! It turned into a huge mind block. It felt like I was missing out.


When I moved to Canada, I decided to start over. I joined ball room classes, started dancing in parties, but my real turning point came when I started this aerobics/dance work out by Paula Abdul - 'Get up and dance'(counting solely on my own experience here). The first day, I couldn't dance even one step in order. It was just too fast for me. I decided I wouldn't give up. I practiced one move a day and slowly built it up till I could dance the entire video. I began to realize that most of dancing is in your mind. You just need to feel confident and good about yourself. More importantly let go.

No no, don't even imagine that I have turned into a super hot dancing pro. Its just that I have stopped caring about what others think about my jiggle- wiggle any more :D. Of all the places, I never even imagined I would get to dance again an Indian folk dance in Eindhoven. For the past one month I have been practicing for a big 'Dandiya Raas' event in the city. And hey, not bad at all! Thank you Paula! :)

P.S - Shubh Navrathiri Desis!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful! You are soooo right - the important thing about dancing is to let go and enjoy yourself! It has to come from the heart!
As I was reading you I could picture you dancing bollywood style, like there was no tomorrow! :o)
Is that event in Eindhoven open to the general public?
Groetjes!

~ Lopa said...

hey happy navratri :)

SO you can dance now, huh?? Thats great. I was also not one of those girls whom people will compliment, but still i loved it, so kept dancing... in garba, in annual function, in cultural nights and even when i joined dance classes, in those institute performances !!
After moving here, i miss it though !

So practising for garba night on 3rd October huh??
I am missing Garba so so much... :(
I got that email about function, but am not sure !

thamarai said...

Aledys, haha..I think you will have a good laugh watching me dance bollywood style..:)..The event is totally open to all. check the link below for details.. public...http://ashanet.org/eindhoven/dandiya2009/


Lopa, you should definitely come then..you are a Gujarathi right? You will have double fun...Man, as far as I have seen all Gujju's are super dancers...:)

~ Lopa said...

hahaha, all gujarati's super dancers then you should meet my hubby....lol
he cant take a step on name of dancing, and he is more gujju than me ;) ( and all are super dancers or they are worst, whatever they dance, it just appears like garba ;) hehe)

Ya i wanted to come but its a bit far and Ashit is not that great fan of garba... so lets see. If i come it will be nice to see you :)

thamarai said...

hehe.., Lopa okie, okie..I guess another stereotype..:)..If you are coming let me know....

Unknown said...

Don't you just love how much we learn, not only about Holland and Dutch culture but also of each other's native countries? It's just wonderful to share all these things.

Thanks Thamarai, I'll check the link tomorrow.

thamarai said...

@ Aledys - Indeed!..We have all turned into a community of sorts in the Netherlands..:)..it feels great...

Archana said...

Aw this post is awesome! :) I fit the Indian stereotype. I love dancing, and have been dancing since I can remember. And you're spot on about the fact that confidence is the beginning step to being a fab dancer. You just have to feel like you own the stage/whatever platform you're on, and then before you know it, your body will listen to you and dance to the beat! <3

thamarai said...

Hey, Archana...thanks for the comments..I will definitely be using your tips in our performance..all that provided I don't trip on my own saree..:D

Efrutik said...

Cute, cute, cute !!!!! so happy for you!

Dancing is fun isn't it. Even though I have no "formal" training, and I think actually I can't learn a routine. The carzy dancing happens when I'm alone though.For the public's safety I keep it more taimed, lol.

I'm sure Paula is proud :)

thamarai said...

hahaha..Efrutik, lets form a club...:)..Thanks..btw, I am having trouble commenting in your blog for some reason!

~ Lopa said...

Hey Vij, I am still not sure if we can make there or not but just was wondering... If we come, we dont have dandiya here, is it possible that it can be arranged from there, they rent for an eve or something ;)
hehehe
just curious, and also the fact that i am missing garba :(

canadiandesi said...

:)

Couldn't help but smile thinking of your Vancouver dance performances...

Are you actually giving a performance, or just as part of the large group? We went for Dandiya at Gladstone last nite... Aki, Srini, Mrig and me were trying to learn some of the trickier Garba steps but didn't work...


If you give an individual performance, do upload it... I think we would all love to see 'Viji Abdul' in action... ;)

Unknown said...

I still remember all our practice sessions.. it was fun.. i went to the dandiya nite , and for some reason it was very boring...maybe i missed u:(
how was urs?

Efrutik said...

Hmmm I don't know what the problem could be. I did a test run and could post :/, I say try again, I love feedback :)

thamarai said...

Lopa, oyye, just come yaar..it will be fun...:)..and plus I will get to learn some moves from you..;)

Canadian desi, thanks man... I miss doing my trademark move ;)..of course it is a large group performance...you guys must have had a blast...

Akhi, ur ECE dance performance was super duper...Here its celebrated coming Saturday...will update on it more soon...miss u too..:(

Efrutik, okie will check again..:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...